2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup peeled and shredded apples, moisture squeezed out
1/2 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease 12-cup muffin pan or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon). Add apple, oats and craisins, and stir well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fill muffins cups in pan, dividing batter evenly. Place additional oats and craisins on tops, if desired.
- Bake muffins at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes, then without opening the oven, lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for 12 to 14 minutes more. Check the muffins with a toothpick or a dry spaghetti noodle to see if done baking. If the muffins are too pale on top, add two more minutes of baking. They should have golden brown edges and golden tops.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove onto a cooling rack, plate or cutting board.