1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups whole milk
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste, divided
3 tablespoons bourbon, divided
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 (11-ounce) box vanilla wafer cookies, (about 40-45 cookies)
- In a 2-quart saucepan, whisk together granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Whisk in milk and bring mixture up to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, light brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste.
- When milk mixture comes up to a bubble (it will get very thick), temper 1/3 of the hot liquid into the yolk mixture, whisking continuously.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and continue to cook over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring continuously, until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Add 1 tablespoon of bourbon and continue to cook, whisking continuously until mixture comes up to a boil. Continue cooking for one minute.
- Remove pudding from heat and pour into a bowl. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to assemble parfaits, whip heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer with powdered sugar, remaining vanilla bean paste and bourbon until stiff peaks form
- To assemble parfaits, place 4-5 vanilla wafers on the bottom of each glass, followed by a layer of pudding, whipped cream and 4-5 slices of banana. Repeat this process one more time to fill parfait glass.
- Top each parfait with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with vanilla wafers.
- Refrigerate pudding parfaits until ready to serve.