24-28 potato slider rolls
5 1/2-6 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast (Boston Butt), excess fat trimmed to 1/4-inch thickness
1 large hickory wood chunk, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
For the Rub:
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon adobo seasoning
1 tablespoon ground chipotle pepper
1 tablespoon kosher salt
For the Sauce:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
2 teaspoon adobo sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon grated fresh lime zest
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Bread and butter pickle chips, for garnish
- For the rub, combine the sugar, adobo seasoning, ground chipotle pepper and salt in a small bowl. Evenly rub the mixture over the pork to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Set up grill for medium-low indirect heat cooking (275°- 300°F). Place an aluminum pan, half filled with water, on the charcoal grate under where the pork will be.
- Place the wood chunk on the lit charcoal. Set the pork, fat side up, on the grill grate over the aluminum pan and close the lid. Grill, adding enough charcoal to maintain temperature after each hour, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the pork without touching the bone registers 160°F, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Wrap the pork in a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and return to the grill over indirect heat. Close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches 195°F about 1-2 hours longer. Remove from the grill and let rest in foil for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the ketchup chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, sugar, chili powder and cumin; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice, zest and salt.
- Unwrap the roast and if cool enough to handle, shred the meat, discarding any large pieces of fat. Transfer pork to a bowl and stir in the sauce until well mixed.
- Top slider rolls evenly with pork and pickle chips, if using.