Chocolate Cream Pie “Garden Cups”
The kids will love getting to “dig” into these fun garden pudding cups! With a knockout chocolate pudding, homemade whipped cream and chocolate covered strawberry “carrots,” these are a win for the whole family!
For the Carrots:
1 pint strawberries, washed and completed dry
1 (12-ounce) package orange candy melts
For the Chocolate Cream Pies:
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
4 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1/2 cup powdered sugar
30 chocolate sandwich cookies
For the Carrots:
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a 2-quart saucepan, bring about an inch of water to a simmer. Remove saucepan from heat and place a heatproof bowl with the candy melts on top of the pot, ensuring the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir candy melts until smooth. Candy melts can also be microwaved in 30 second increments until melted and smooth. Dip strawberries, letting excess drip off, and set on parchment-lined pan. When all strawberries have been coated, fill a piping bag with remaining coating and drizzle across strawberries. Refrigerate strawberries until ready to use.
For the Pudding:
- Sift together cocoa powder, cornstarch, sugar and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Slowly whisk in milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream in a thin stream, to avoid any lumps from forming.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking continuously, and then boil for 2 minutes, continuing to whisk.
- Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate and vanilla extract. Transfer pudding to a bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate pudding for at least 2 hours, or until completely chilled.
- To prepare the chocolate cookie crust, place the chocolate sandwich cookies in a large zip-top plastic bag and crush into small pieces using a rolling pin.
- When ready to assemble, whip remaining 2 cups of heavy cream with powdered sugar and remaining teaspoon of vanilla extract until stiff.
- Place 3 tablespoons of cookie crumbs in the bottom of each jar. Spoon a layer of chocolate pudding on top, followed by a layer of whipped cream. Repeat layers once more and top with a layer of cookie crumbs. Garnish with strawberry “carrots.” Refrigerate until ready to serve.