Coconut Cream Cupcakes
Coconut cream pie gets a sweet upgrade with fun and delicious coconut cream cupcakes! Topped with fluffy whipped frosting, chocolate candy eggs and loads of sprinkles, these cupcakes are as delicious to look at as they are to eat!Yield:
For the Coconut Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into small cubes
1 cup unsweetened, canned coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
For the Custard:
3/4 cup half and half
3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
For the Mascarpone Whipped Frosting:
8 ounces mascarpone
8 ounces heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut, toasted
Chocolate candy eggs, for decorating
Pastel confetti sprinkles, for decorating
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 Farberware 12-cup Muffin Pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low for 1 minute to combine the dry ingredients. Add cubed butter and continue to mix, until the flour mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the eggs one at a time, followed by the coconut milk, vanilla and coconut extracts, and mix until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium and beat cupcake batter for about 2 more minutes.
- Fill prepared muffin pans 3/4 full with batter and bake for 18-22 minutes, rotating once halfway through.
For the custard:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together half and half, milk and egg. In a Farberware Classic Series Stainless Steel 2 Qt. Saucepan whisk together sugar, corn starch and salt. Slowly whisk in milk mixture so there are no lumps.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-low heat, whisking continuously (about 5-7 minutes) and then boil for one minute, continuing to whisk. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Transfer custard to a bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of custard to prevent a skin from forming. Allow to cool to room temperature for about 20 minutes and then refrigerate until ready to use.
For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip mascarpone, heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and almond extracts on medium speed, until stiff.
- To assemble the cupcakes, make a well in the center of each cupcake. You can do this with a small paring knife, or the top of a large pastry tip. Fill a piping bag or plastic storage bag with chilled custard and fill each cupcake.
- Frost cupcakes and immediately cover with toasted coconut. Top with chocolate candy eggs and confetti sprinkles.