For the Coconut Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into small cubes
1 cup unsweetened, canned coconut milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
For the Custard:
3/4 cup half and half
3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
For the Mascarpone Whipped Frosting:
8 ounces mascarpone
8 ounces heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut, toasted
Chocolate candy eggs, for decorating
Pastel confetti sprinkles, for decorating
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 Farberware 12-cup Muffin Pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low for 1 minute to combine the dry ingredients. Add cubed butter and continue to mix, until the flour mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the eggs one at a time, followed by the coconut milk, vanilla and coconut extracts, and mix until combined, scraping down the bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium and beat cupcake batter for about 2 more minutes.
- Fill prepared muffin pans 3/4 full with batter and bake for 18-22 minutes, rotating once halfway through.
For the custard:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together half and half, milk and egg. In a Farberware Classic Series Stainless Steel 2 Qt. Saucepan whisk together sugar, corn starch and salt. Slowly whisk in milk mixture so there are no lumps.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-low heat, whisking continuously (about 5-7 minutes) and then boil for one minute, continuing to whisk. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Transfer custard to a bowl and press a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of custard to prevent a skin from forming. Allow to cool to room temperature for about 20 minutes and then refrigerate until ready to use.
For the frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip mascarpone, heavy cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and almond extracts on medium speed, until stiff.
- To assemble the cupcakes, make a well in the center of each cupcake. You can do this with a small paring knife, or the top of a large pastry tip. Fill a piping bag or plastic storage bag with chilled custard and fill each cupcake.
- Frost cupcakes and immediately cover with toasted coconut. Top with chocolate candy eggs and confetti sprinkles.