0.33 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped
0.66 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5 cups hot coffee
2.75 cups all purpose flour
1.25 teaspoon baking soda
0.25 teaspoon baking powder
0.25 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
0.33 cup oil
1 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Cream Filling:
2 large egg whites, room temperature
0.25 teaspoon cream of tartar
12 tablespoons granulated sugar
8 tablespoons light corn syrup
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons water
1.50 teaspoon vanilla extract
0.33 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
0.33 cup powdered sugar
3 to 4 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
4 to 5 drops food coloring of choice
Piping bag with meringue (set aside from above cream filing recipe)
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray or butter cupcake pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened cocoa powder and hot coffee. Whisk until fully melted and no lumps remaining.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a medium bowl, and set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add sugar, brown sugar, oil mayonnaise, eggs and vanilla. Mix on low to medium speed until fully combined.
- Add one-third of the sifted dry mixture to the bowl, mix just to combine, then add half of the chocolate mixture and mix on low to medium speed until combined. Scraping down bowl to insure no dry lumps remain on the bottom of the bowl. Repeat until all of the dry and chocolate mixture has been added and mixture is lump free.
- Portion batter into prepared cupcake pan, approximately 0.25 cups per cupcake or two-thirds full. Bake at 325°F until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and the cupcake springs back when pressed lightly in the center, about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once fully cooled, cut the top or “belly” off the top of the cupcakes. Turn cupcakes upside down, remove center from the bottom of cupcakes using a 0.50 -inch round cookie cutter, or hollow out the center with a paring knife.
- Place each cupcake onto a piece of wax paper or parchment paper square before filing and frosting. The parchment square will make each one easier to maneuver and frost.
For Cream Filling:
- Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and water in a small saucepan. Over medium heat, bring to a boil until mixture reaches 248°F.
- While sugar mixture is boiling, add the egg white and cream of tartar to a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whip on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Once the sugar mixture reaches 248°F, turn the egg whites in the mixer down to low speed, very slowly and carefully drizzle the syrup down the side of the mixer bowl.
- Once all of the sugar mixture is added, increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form and mixture has cooled.
- IMPORTANT STEP: Remove 1 cup of meringue at this point and place in a piping bag fitted with a small plain tip for piping around the outside of the cupcake, #8 or #10 tip.
- With remaining meringue left in mixer add vanilla, butter and powdered sugar on low speed. Once powdered sugar is incorporated, turn the speed to high and whip until smooth.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 0.50 inch plain, fill bag with cream filling.
- Fill center of cupcakes with cream filling.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes or until filling is cold.
- Place coconut and food coloring in food processor, pulse until color is evenly distributed. Place colored coconut into a large bowl.
- Pipe meringue starting from the bottom piping towards the top in a circular motion around the cupcake.
- Press coconut onto the piped meringue until fully covered. The coconut will make the snowball easier to handle and shape.
- Best eaten within a day of being made. If made in advance, store in an airtight container in the freezer.