4 ounces butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup light molasses or golden syrup
1/4 cup apple sauce or cooked apple puree
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat well until smooth. Add the molasses and applesauce and beat until combined.
- Sift together the flour, spices and bicarbonate and, using a large spoon, fold into the butter mixture.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest and allow for shrinkage.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment and roll out to about 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. Use a gingerbread man cutter, or try freestyle for a personal touch, to cut out shapes.
- Place on trays about 1 inch apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Decorate as desired.