If you’re going to have gingerbread, it’s worth the extra effort and fun to make into smile bringing shapes, whether “people” or animals, or whatever your kids have up their sleeves!
20 Gingerbread Men
4 ounces butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup light molasses or golden syrup
1/4 cup apple sauce or cooked apple puree
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat well until smooth. Add the molasses and applesauce and beat until combined.
- Sift together the flour, spices and bicarbonate and, using a large spoon, fold into the butter mixture.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest and allow for shrinkage.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment and roll out to about 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. Use a gingerbread man cutter, or try freestyle for a personal touch, to cut out shapes.
- Place on trays about 1 inch apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Decorate as desired.