Graham Cracker Layer:
3/4 cups graham cracker, ground
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/5 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cups cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup coffee
1 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 large egg whites, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
Graham Cracker Layer:
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, brown sugar and salt.
- In a small bowl, melt butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners, add 1 tablespoon of graham cracker mixture in the cupcake liner. Press evenly in bottom of cupcake liner with the back of a spoon.
- Chop bittersweet chocolate and sprinkle 2 teaspoons on top of each graham cracker layer.
- Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool while you mix the chocolate cupcake layer.
- Preheat oven to 325°F . Butter or oil baking pan, line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter paper and dust baking pan with flour, tapping out any excess. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar into a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Combine oil, coffee, water, and vanilla.
- In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the sifted dry mixture to the bowl, then add the wet ingredient mixture and mix on low to medium speed until combined. Scraping down bowl to insure no dry lumps remain on the bottom of the bowl.
- Once mixture is smooth and lump free, add the apple cider vinegar and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Portion batter into cupcake pan, approximately 1/4 cups per cupcake. Bake at 325°F until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in the center, about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool before unmolding.
Toasted Marshmallow:Combine egg whites, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in a heatproof bowl.
- Set bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch.
- Add salt and cream of tartar.
- In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks from and meringue is cooled.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch plain or star tip.
- Fill bag with meringue and pipe on top of cupcakes.
- With a butane or propane torch, toast the marshmallow to desired color.
*Top with chocolate shavings, chocolate bar chunks, graham crackers, or drizzle tops with ganache. Or just leave plain, they are beautiful as they are.