4 slices of bacon
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups cauliflower , freshly grated or frozen
2 tablespoons water
2 cups 2% milk
2 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Whisk together flour and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add garlic and olive oil to a large saucepan, then season with salt and pepper and cook about a minute or two.
- Meanwhile, cook up bacon in a skillet or medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Chop into pieces.
- Add cauliflower to the pot and stir to combine. Add water and place a lid on top to steam cauliflower until tender, stirring a couple times, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining chicken broth and milk then turn up heat and bring to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in flour/chicken broth mixture while stirring, then turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until soup has thickened.
- Stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese a little at a time until smooth.
- Serve, topped with remaining shredded cheese, a dash of heavy cream, the bacon and green onions.