Pecan Pie Bars
Classic pecan pie gets transformed into an irresistible hand held treat with a golden shortbread crust and delicious pecan pie filling. Topped with chocolate and a sprinkle of sea salt, these bars are sure to be the talk of the holiday table!Yield:
For the shortbread:
1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
For the pecan pie filling:
2 1/4 cups pecans
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 cup light corn syrup
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate
Sea salt, for garnish
For the shortbread:
- Preheat oven to 325°F and grease a Farberware® 9x13-Inch Baking Pan. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and light brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the salt and flour and continue to mix just until combined.
- Press shortbread dough evenly into the prepared pan and chill for at least 25 minutes.
- Bake shortbread for 18-20 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Remove from the oven, set on a cooling rack and raise the oven temperature to 350°F.
For the filling:
- Chop pecans and set aside. In a Farberware® PURECOOK 2-Quart Saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar, salt, light corn syrup and heavy cream, and simmer for one minute. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla extract and chopped pecans. Pour filling over shortbread and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until bubbling around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely, then refrigerate bars for a minimum of 6-8 hours, preferably over night. When ready to cut the bars, lift them out of the pan by the parchment paper and cut into squares.
- If drizzling with chocolate, melt chocolate over a double boiler or microwave in 30 second increments until melted. Using either a spoon or a piping bag, drizzle chocolate across bars. Garnish with sea salt if desired.