Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Pineapple upside-down cake is always a crowd favorite. In this recipe, dark rum and ginger take the classic cake to a whole new level. It’s a no fuss recipe full of flavor that’s sure to impress!
1 9-inch cake (7-10 Servings)
1 1/4 stick (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, divided
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 (20-ounce) can pineapple rings , in 100% juice
1 small jar maraschino cherries
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons dark rum
3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a Farberware 9-Inch Square Cake Pan.
- In a small Farberware saucepan over low heat, melt 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) of butter. Add light brown sugar and stir continuously over low heat for about 2-3 minutes until the mixture is smooth. Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Place pineapple rings on top of mixture and place a maraschino cherry in the center of each ring. Set aside.
- Cream remaining butter (6 tablespoons) with sugar on medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract, and dark rum and mix until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and ground ginger.
- Add dry ingredients to the batter alternating with the buttermilk.
- Pour batter on top of pineapple rings and bake the cake for approximately 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes then run a small pairing knife around the edges just to loosen it. Place a large plate upside down on top of the cake and flip the pan over.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.