Spiced Apple Cups
A rich seasonal pastry made with crisp fall apples, toasted almonds, and mascarpone cheese.
12 Cups (12 Servings)
2 tbsp Butter
3 Crisp fall seasonal apples, peeled, cored and diced
2 tsp Cinnamon, Ground (separated)
1 Lemon, zested and juiced
1 4 oz. pkg Almonds, Slivered
8 oz. Mascarpone cheese
12 2.5 oz. Tart Shells, such as DuFour Pastry Cups
For the Apple Filling:
- Toast the almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat, or on a sheet pan in the over at 350 degrees, until just golden brown
- Heat an open skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tbsp of butter
- Add the apples and sauté until the liquid is released and they are golden brown, about 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and cinnamon. Add zest and juice from lemon. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add 2 tbsp grade B maple syrup, toss in with cooked apples to glaze.
For the DuFour Pastry Cups:
- Bake to package directions.
For the Sweetened Mascarpone:
- For the Sweetened Mascarpone Mix 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tbsp grade B maple syrup into 8 oz package of mascarpone
- Put mascarpone in a re-sealable zipper storage bag and cut corner for piping.
- Fill tart shells half way with mascarpone mixture.
- Spoon the cooked spiced apple mixture into cups and top with slivered almonds