Apple Pie-Filled Layer Cake
The spectacular cake combines the best of apple pie with a moist, tender and fool-proof spice cake. It’s impressive good looks and fabulous flavor belie the simplicity with which it is made.Yield:
For the cake:
2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
16 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup apple cider
4 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 4 teaspoons water
2 cups + 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the bottom of two Farberware 9-inch round cake pans with a tiny bit of butter.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the granulated sugar and butter in a bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs and beat on medium speed until the mixture is well blended, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl, about 4-5 minutes. Combine the milk and extract in a separate small bowl. With the mixer on low, add the flour and milk mixtures alternately in 2 additions, mixing until well blended. Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans and bake in the center of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 26-27 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the pans on a wire rack 20 minutes. Invert cakes out of the pans onto the rack and cool completely.
- For the filling, melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the apples, sugar and cinnamon; cook until the apples are tender but still hold their shape, 13-14 minutes. Add the cider and cook 3 minutes. Whisk in the cornstarch, bring to a boil and cook until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Cool completely.
- For the glaze, stir together the confectioners’ sugar and apple cider until smooth.
- To assemble, place a cake, flat side up, on a cake plate; spread all but 1/2 cup of over the cake in an even layer. Place the second cake on top of the filling with the flat side facing down. Pour the glaze over the top and encourage it to spread toward the edges, allowing it to drip down the sides. Allow glaze to set at least 15 minutes before spooning the reserved apple mixture in the in a small mound on top of the cake.
Leave a comment