For the Mashed Potato Biscuits:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1 1/2 cups cold mashed potatoes
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk, divided
For the Turkey Gravy:
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup roughly chopped button mushrooms
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups turkey drippings, or turkey stock
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup diced turkey meat
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the cold butter until the pieces are no larger than peas. Mix in the mashed potatoes.
- Create a well in the middle of the bowl to pour in the egg and ⅔ cups buttermilk. Stir the mixture until a loose dough forms, then turn out onto a floured surface. Cut into biscuits with a large cutter or glass.
- Place on a Farberware 10x15-Inch Baking Sheet. Brush the tops with buttermilk and bake for 15 - 18 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown on top.
For the Gravy:
- In a Farberware Classic 10-Inch Skillet, sauté the onions and mushrooms until translucent. Stir in the flour and cook until golden and fragrant.
- Add the turkey drippings and whisk until it comes up to a simmer and begins to thicken. Turn off the heat once it reaches desired thickness.
- Add in the buttermilk, turkey meat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon turkey gravy over the biscuits and top with a poached or fried egg.