Chicken and White Bean Chili
Is it a soup or a stew? Call it what you will, you’re going to want to keep this recipe in your “favorites” file and bring it out on cold winter nights, when watching the game with a crowd…and on busy weeknights, too. Freeze leftovers in portion size containers for microwave friendly lunches.Yield:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
3/4 teaspoon salt, divded
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 medium onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 (4.25-ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
1 (15-ounce) can low sodium cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Add chicken to the saucepan and cook until lightly browned, turning occasionally, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the onions, garlic, bell pepper and green chilies; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are slightly softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and chipotle pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the beans and broth; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the cilantro. Garnish each bowl with sour cream, cheese, and avocado.