The best of summer’s bounty is combined into a rustic, easy to make, weeknight dish.Yield:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 medium Japanese eggplants, cut into rounds
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
2 medium zucchini, cut into rounds
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
Splash of red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set a large Farberware® PURECOOK™ Ceramic Nonstick 12-inch skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook stirring occasionally, until they are wilted and lightly caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is partially cooked, about 6 minutes.
- Add both the green and red peppers and the zucchini. Cook for 5-7 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomatoes and cook 3 minutes. Add chickpeas, basil, thyme and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add a splash of red wine vinegar and cook 1 minute more. Taste and adjust seasonings. Ratatouille can be served, warm or at room temperature alone or over rice.