1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
3 small jalapeno pepers
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 slices jack cheese
4 hamburger rolls, split
2 cups iceburg lettuce , shredded
1/2 cup cilantro sprigs, loosely packed
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, and chipotle; add salt and more chipotle to taste and set aside.
- Gently shape the beef into four patties about 3/4-inch thick. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or a grill pan over medium heat until hot. Cook the jalapenos, turning occasionally, until lightly charred on all sides and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Cook the patties to desired doneness, about 3 1/2 minutes per side for medium-rare. During the last minute of cooking time, top each patty with a slice of cheese and cover the pan to help melt the cheese.
- Set the patties aside to rest. Meanwhile, place the buns cut side down in the skillet or grill pan to slightly toast them, about 1 minute. Thinly slice the jalapenos.
- Place the bun bottoms on plates or a platter. Top with the lettuce, cilantro, patties, jalapeno, chipotle mixture, and bun tops and serve.