3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large leeks , white and light green parts only
2 garlic cloves , minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
32 ounces chicken or vegetable stock
28 ounces frozen baby sweet peas
1/3 packed cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
crème fraiche, optional
- In a large skillet set over medium heat add unsalted butter.
- Once the butter is melted add leeks and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Add in minced garlic, thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Sauté for another minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Increase the heat to high and pour in chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a slight boil and stir in frozen peas.
- Let the peas cook for 2 minutes, stir in mint leaves and remove pan from the heat.
- Add half the pea mixture to the container of a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth and pour into 3.5-quart saucepan. Puree remaining pea mixture following the same direction.
- Warm pea soup over medium low heat until hot.
- Enjoy plain or with a dollop of crème fraiche.