2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup milk
2 8.5 ounce boxes corn muffin mix
7 slices thick hickory-smoked bacon
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups carrots, chopped in 1/4-inch pieces (about 4 medium carrots)
2 cups celery, chopped in 1/4-inch pieces (about 4 stalks)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup Madeira wine*
1 15-ounce can lower sodium chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a Farberware 9x13-Inch Baking Pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the eggs and milk; stir in the cornbread mixture until it is well incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Let cool. Crumble the cornbread into 1-inch and smaller pieces and place on a Farberware 11x17-Inch Baking Sheet; toast in a 400°F oven for 10 minutes until lightly crisped. (Can be made 3-5 days before making the rest of the stuffing.)
- Cook the bacon in a Farberware Glide 11.25-Inch Skillet . Transfer the meat to a plate lined with paper towel and let cool before crumbling.
- Add the onions to the skillet; cook 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the carrots, celery, sage, salt, and pepper and cook until vegetables are very soft, 13-15 minutes. Add the Madeira and cook, stirring until the liquid is evaporated, about 2-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and toss with the bacon and cornbread.
- Transfer to a Farberware 9x13-Inch Baking Pan with cooking spray. May be kept, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Just before serving, pour the broth evenly over the stuffing. Bake in a 325-350°F oven for 15-20 minutes, until the broth is absorbed and the stuffing heated through.