3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons dijon mustard
4 6-ounce chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
4 slices Gruyere or provolone cheese
4 ciabatta buns, split
2 cups arugula, loosely packed
- Combine the honey and mustard in a small bowl; set aside.
- Brush the chicken with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the black pepper. In a medium bowl, combine the bell pepper with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or a grill pan over medium heat until hot. Cook the bell pepper until lightly charred and tender, about 4 minutes per side. Cook the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. During the last minute of cooking time, top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese and cover the pan to help melt the cheese.
- Set the chicken aside to rest. Meanwhile, place the ciabatta buns cut side down in the skillet or grill pan to slightly toast them, about 1 minute. Cut the bell pepper into strips.
- Place the ciabatta bottoms on plates or a platter. Top with the arugula, chicken, bell pepper strips, and honey Dijon and serve.