Who can resist the combination of refried beans, chicken, cheese, avocado, salsa verde and refried beans on corn tortillas? Leftover chicken makes short work of this family friendly crowd-pleaser.Yield:
6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 (15-ounce) can refried beans
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch dice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced, plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1/2 cup shredded colby and jack cheese blend
8 tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Heat 5 tablespoons of the oil in an 8-inch frying pan over medium. Working one at a time, add a tortilla to the frying pan and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a large sheet pan covered with paper towels and let drain. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Keep warm in the oven.
- Heat the refried beans in a small saucepan over medium; keep warm.
- Combine the tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl; reserve.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken, chipotle and adobo sauce and cook, stirring, until chicken is heated through, about 1 minute.
- To assemble: Place tortillas on a work surface and spread each with some of the refried beans. Top with 1/4 cup lettuce, chicken, tomato mixture, cheese and sour cream.
Leave a comment