4 los, seeded and minced
1 small red onion, minced
1 large bell pepper, minced
1/4 cup butter
6 cups chicken stock
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn kernels
2 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
5 strips thick-cut bacon
2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, cut into one-inch cubes
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional garnish: grated cheddar, parsley, and crumbled bacon
- Sauté the peppers, onions and jalapenos in butter for about five minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and potatoes and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Add the corn, bacon, cheddar, cream cheese, and parsley. Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted.
- Add the cream and continue heating until the chowder is hot enough to serve. Patience is important. Keep the heat low and don't let your chowder boil – cream soups often curdle or separate if boiled. Use medium-low heat and let it gradually come up to serving temperature.
- Serve with your favorite crusty bread, crackers and or garnishes.