For the sauce:
1 pound tomatillos, husks and stems removed, rinsed well
2 cloves garlic
1/2 large onion
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 - 3/4 cup water
1 cup fresh cilantro, tightly fitted
For the filling:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 cups mushrooms, sliced
6 cups kale leaves, washed and trimmed
2 poblano chiles, charred, stemmed. seeded and diced
1/2 cup onion, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
12 corn tortillas
3/4 cup sour cream, Mexican crema or vegan sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded melting cheese, or vegan melting cheese
For the Sauce:
- Add tomatillos, garlic cloves, and onion water and salt to a Farberware 2-Qt Saucepan over medium heat. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. When the tomatillos are cooked, process with the cilantro in food processor until sauce is smooth, about two minutes.
For the Filling:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a Farberware 9.75-Inch Skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes and slowly start adding the kale. Continue adding as the kale wilts. Season with salt.
For the Tortillas:
- Heat some vegetable oil in a Farberware 8-Inch Skillet over medium heat. Using tongs, dip the tortillas one at a time for about 15 seconds. Set aside over a plate lined with paper towels. You could also lightly toast them in a skillet with no oil until lightly browned.
- Cover the bottom of a Farberware 9x13-Inch Baking Pan with the tomatillo sauce. Layer with 6 tortillas, cover the tortillas with the kale and mushroom filling, drizzle about one-third of the sauce over the filling. Top the filling and sauce with half of the cream and half of the melting cheese. Top with 6 more tortillas, cover them with sauce, the remaining cream, and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese melted, about 10 to 15 minutes. Uncover and leave 5 to 7 minutes more or until the cheese begins to brown.