Peanut Noodles with Shrimp
A staple of Thai cuisine, peanut sauce is added to everything from dips to meats. Here, it is used to enhance the flavor of a noodle and shrimp dish.Yield:
2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
4 tablespoons ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon chili paste, divided
1/2 cup low sodium nonfat chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound linguini
2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
1 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 carrots, shredded with vegetable peeler
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until softened. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, ¼ teaspoon of the chili paste, peanut butter, chicken broth and salt and cook, stirring, until the peanut butter is dissolved. Simmer over low heat for 7 minutes, or until thick and smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook the linguine in plenty of lightly salted boiling water until al dente. Just before draining, add the red pepper strips and sugar snaps to the pasta. Drain and toss with the sauce.
- Toss shrimp with remaining ¼ teaspoon of chili paste.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of peanut oil to a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium high. Add the shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side, or until pink.
- Combine the shrimp, carrot, and cilantro with the pasta and toss thoroughly.