Skillet Chicken and Dumplings
The perfect marriage of comfort and convenience in Dani Meyerone amazing pan.
3 containers (32 ounce) low-sodium chicken stock
2 medium onions, diced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch rounds
1 head broccoli, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cups leftover chopped chicken
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, (or a few fresh sprigs)
1 teaspoon powdered garlic, (or add in a few fresh cloves)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup half-and-half
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups flour, (whole wheat or all-purpose both work great)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk or half-and-half
Grated parmesan cheese
Fresh black pepper
- Speed Tip: Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large saucepan or in the microwave while you prep ingredients to speed up cook time!
- Saute onions, carrots, and broccoli with butter in a Farberware 6-Qt Jumbo Cooker. Add olive oil as needed if the pan looks dry. Cook until onions are translucent and carrots are beginning to soften. If using fresh garlic add it in for the last 3 minutes of cooking time so it does not burn.
- Add chopped chicken, seasonings and hot chicken stock to the pan. Boil for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are softened to desired state. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Whisk cornstarch into half and half until all lumps are gone. Whisk into soup and boil for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- In a medium bowl, mix dumpling ingredients together. Swirl soup with wooden spoon and add heaping tablespoons into center of soup (needs to be at a rolling boil). Continue adding quickly until all batter is used up. Put the lid on and cook on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Top with grated parmesan and a bit of fresh cracked pepper