1 pound chorizo, substitute with ground beef, if desired
1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 red or white onion, diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
4 serrano pepers, seeded and finely diced
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup grated Cotija cheese
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
8 small taco sized flour tortillas, or white corn tortillas
1 avocado, mashed
Lime wedges and salsa, for serving, optional
- Grease your skillet with oil or butter. Add chorizo and all peppers to the skillet. Sauté over medium-high heat 6-8 minutes, stirring throughout until meat is browned and peppers are tender. Use a wooden spoon or a rubber spatula to stir and break up the meat.
- Gently push the peppers and meat to one side and add eggs to the bare portion of the pan. Allow eggs to cook for about 2 minutes, then incorporate them into the meat and peppers, stirring to scramble the eggs until cooked.
- Sprinkle salt, paprika, and garlic powder over the mixture in the skillet. Reduce heat to low. Start preparing the tortillas while allowing contents in pan to cook.
- Use 1 flour tortilla or 2 corn tortillas per taco. (Tip: If using corn tortillas, warm them in the microwave for about 15 seconds so they will be easier to work with). Spread 1-2 tablespoons of mashed avocado on the inside of each tortilla (just on the inner tortilla if using corn tortillas).
- Spoon stir-fried meat, peppers, and eggs into tortillas. Sprinkle with Cotija cheese and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for drizzling and salsa for topping, if desired.