Spinach Dip Pinwheels
- For best results, the spinach and roasted peppers should be drained very well.
- To make ahead, prepare pastry and then wrap in wax paper followed by plastic wrap. Freeze until ready to bake.
Everyone’s favorite dip gets even better when it’s combined with puff pastry. Spinach dip pinwheels studded with roasted red peppers are the ultimate holiday appetizer and one that is always a hit!Yield:
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
6 cups (8-9 ounces) fresh spinach, chopped
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
1/4 cup asiago cheese
1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained well and chopped
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 of 17.03-ounce package puff pastry, thawed according to package
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 11x17-inch cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, beat egg with water and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a ceramic nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook for one minute, until fragrant. Add chopped spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted, tossing continuously. Remove from heat, transfer to a colander and drain all the liquid from the spinach. Once spinach has cooled, wrap the spinach in paper towels and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, mayonnaise, parmesan, cooled spinach and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour on work surface and unfold the pastry sheet on top. Roll out puff pastry just to smooth out the seams. Spread spinach mixture over pastry, leaving 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle asiago cheese on top followed by chopped roasted peppers. Brush a small amount of egg wash lightly around the edges of the pastry.
- Starting at the short side, roll up pastry jelly roll style, pressing gently to seal the seam. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Cut chilled pastry into 1/2-inch slices (about 20 pieces) and place on prepared cookie sheet. Brush the slices with egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Serve hot or at room temperature.