Sweet Corn and Fresh Oregano Fritters
These are easily made with corn off the cob, and when you cook them the kernels might actually pop. The oregano and coarse sea salt add some extra taste and texture.Yield:
12 to 16 fritters (4-6 Servings)
4 ears corn, white or yellow, or a mixture
1/4 yellow onion
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the kernels from the corn by holding an ear, base down, in a bowl and, with a sharp knife, cutting close to the cob in downward strokes.
- Using a grater, grate the onion. Using your hands, squeeze the onion as dry as you can.
- Put the corn and onion in a bowl, sprinkle with the flour, baking powder, half the salt and the pepper and 2 tablespoons of the oregano and mix. Add the egg and mix well.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat, pour in enough olive oil to film by a scant 1/4 inch.
- When it is hot, drop the corn mixture by heaping teaspoons into the oil, about 1-inch apart. Press down gently with the back of a wooden spoon and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn and fry the other side, about 1 minute.
- Remove to a paper-towel lined platter to drain. Repeat, adding more oil and reducing the heat if necessary. To serve, sprinkle with the remaining sea salt and oregano and serve hot or warm.