12-14 pound turkey, thawed
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 Golden Delicious apples, cored, cut into 8 wedges each
3 medium red onions, cut through the root, 8 wedges each
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3 carrots , halved, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
3 celery stalks, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
4 cups apple cider
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup bourbon
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cinnamon stick
- Let the turkey stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Season the turkey cavity with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Place 8 apple wedges and 8 onion wedges in the turkey cavity. Tuck the wings back under the bottom of the breast. Rub the turkey all over with the softened butter then season with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Truss the legs with kitchen twine. Place the remaining onion wedges, carrots, celery, 1 cup apple cider and chicken broth in the bottom of a large nonstick roasting pan. Set the turkey on a rack then place in the roasting pan.
- Roast turkey in the lower third of the oven for 2 hours, tent loosely with foil if skin begins to brown too quickly.
- While the turkey roasts, combine the remaining 3 cups cider, bourbon, brown sugar, vinegar and cinnamon stick in a Farberware 3-Qt. nonstick saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat and cook until the mixture has reduced to 1/2 cup and is slightly syrupy, about 38-40 minutes.
- After the turkey has roasted for 2 hours baste it with some of the cider glaze and roast 15 minutes. Add the remaining apple wedges to the roasting pan and continue basting turkey with the glaze every 15 minutes until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 170°F, about 30-45 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let stand at least 20 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables, apples and pan juices.