Sausage, Sun-Dried Tomato and Pecorino Stuffed Mushrooms
Make these ahead for your next gathering: prepare the filling and keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Cook the mushroom caops the day of your party and fill them in the afternoon.
24 mushrooms (6-8 Servings)
- 24 large button mushrooms, about 2 pounds
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from the casing
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Finely chop the stems and reserve.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the sausage and cook, breaking into small crumbles, until browned, 9-10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the chopped mushroom stems to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook until tender, 6-7 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and cook 1 minute. Stir in the sauce and breadcrumbs and cook 1 minute. Stir in the cream cheese and cook, stirring, until melted 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the Romano cheese and parsley.
- Toss the mushroom caps in a large bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Arrange the mushroom caps on a large baking sheet. Fill each mushroom with the sausage mixture, mounding as necessary and pressing slightly to help filling hold together. Bake mushrooms until tender and the filling is browned, 25-28 minutes.
Leave a comment