Winter Pesto Toasts
Serve these toasts with a hearty soup for dinner, or as the perfect pre-dinner nibble. The pesto may be made up to two days ahead.Yield:
1/2 baguette, about 6 ounces, cut across into 8 1/2-inch thick slices
1/4 cup walnuts
6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 cups chopped kale
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Arrange the bread slices in a single layer directly on the oven rack. Bake until the bread is crisp, turning once, 5-6 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Heat a Farberware Neat Nest 2 Qt. Nonstick Saucepan over medium heat. Add the walnuts and toast, shaking pan occasionally, until lightly colored and aromatic, 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a blender.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the saucepan over medium heat. Add the kale and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the blender and allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 5 tablespoons oil, garlic, cheese and salt to the blender; puree. Spread the top of toast with the pesto.