12 ounces wide egg noodles
3 tablespoons olive oil
12 ounces sliced mushrooms
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups coarsely chopped cooked turkey
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups unsalted chicken broth or turkey stock
1 cup hard apple or pear cider
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small bits
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a 6-quart stockpot of salted water to a boil over medium heat. Add the egg noodles and cook according to package directions; drain, rinsed with cold water and drain again.
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have released their liquid and start to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the celery, carrots, and garlic and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the noodles and turkey.
- Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Whisk in the broth, cider, cream, and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, whisking, and cook 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Pour over the turkey mixture in the 4-quart sauté pan; mix well.
- For the topping combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the sauté pan and dot with the bits of butter. Bake in the center of the oven until the topping is golden brown and the filling hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.